Marjan Satrapi is an Iranian cartoonist and writer. Persepolis a film made from her book series with the same title has just won the Cannes Film Festival praise of the Jurors. Persepolis is Marjan's autobiography growing up with Islamic Revolution of 1979, migrating to Europe and going back to Iran. She was interviewed in her last visit to Portland on her book tour by Gabi Ross for KBOO's Bread and Roses.
1. Since 1990 the Republicans have been sitting on Salem’s face and Oregon’s lowly service industry employees had to clean up after the party. But things changed this year and the Democrats are, ‘back on top’ so to speak. So far it’s working out well for workers. As long as the Dems don’t do anything stupid, we still have a chance to undo some of the mischief made in the last 16 years…
2. “I Shot the Sheriff”: Here’s the dilemma: They’re union members and they are cops. So whom do you root for in this particular movie? The union representing the Sheriff’s Office sued the Department of Community Justice and won. Pass the popcorn…
The Department of Homeland Security has detained medical supplies at the US-Canada border between Maine and Quebec .
The supplies were bound for Cuba, as part of a caravan organized by the Pastors for Peace from various parts of the US and Canada.
The section of the caravan coming from Canada through the US was stopped at the border, and several boxes were seized in order to examine them for their potential threat to the security of the United States.
KBOO spoke with the Director of Pastors for Peace, Reverend Lucius Walker
1. Now that the potage is cooked it’s time to take it to the polls. Oregon lawmakers referred eight measures to the ballot. Most comical of all is the cigarette tax, which is to be enshrined in the Oregon State Constitution. Yes, that is what it takes to get health coverage for 100 thousand uninsured children. Why not just give the money directly to the huge health insurance companies and leave the constitution out of it. That’s how every other department of the US government works now, right?
This program, hosted by Luz María Gordillo, discusses immigration and labor, reviews Michael Moore's film "Sicko," and considers a National Health Care System. Frann Michel comments on issues being discussed at the US Social Forum in Georgia.
Beginning October 7th, KBOO began a trial period of 'The Thom Hartmann Show' from 4 - 5 pm weekdays. Click here to find out more about our trial period of airing Thom Hartmann - we want to hear your response!
A Membership Engagement Committee meeting will be held on Nov 27th at 5:30 PM. The meeting will be held at the Portland SEIU Union hall located at 6401 SE Foster Rd in SE Portland (near the intersection of Foster Rd and Holgate).
The next KBOO Board meeting will be on December 16th at 6 pm at KBOO - 20 SE 8th Ave.
KBOO 90.7 FM is seeking a Station Manager to lead our dynamic 45 year old non-commercial, community radio station.
We are looking for:
• Nonprofit management experience.
• Ability to thrive and work collaboratively in a decentralized organization.
• Ability to delegate, plan and organize people to meet goals and objectives.