December 6, 2017
In the wake of last year's presidential election, singer Ara Lee and songwriter Beth Wood wrote and produced a song entitled "Nasty Woman". Their purpose was to raise money fo Planned Parenthood. Over 50 Portland musicians and citizens united to record the song and the video. Inessa Anderson interviews the musicians about their writing retreat, their creative drive, and the taking back and claiming of power.
This month's She-Ra Solution segment introduces us to two women who are champions of indigenous people's contributions to science, and the history of women who are knowledge keepers. Listen and learn about Karlie Noon, mathmetician and physicist; and Hindou Oumarou Ibrahim, environmental scientist. Also, an overview of science fiction writer Nalo Hopkinson. Hosted by Kristin Thiel.
New contributor Leidi Monte hosts Per Mutations: Sex and Culture 101. This segment focuses on sex and sexuality, from the perspective of a person with mutated sex chromosomes. Leid interviews Olivia Jarratt, a sex educator from Planned Parenthood, discussing the topic of sex as part of our collective human experience.
Darka interviews small business owner Susan Hashem: their discussion centered around the politics of our food choices, specifically around transitioning to veganism (including information on a help kit) to save the world.
Liam Delta presents the second part of a vox pop: more stories from people in downtown Portland about coping mechanisms in today's world.
Local musician Marisa Anderson performs the standard "Amazing Grace". Marisa is a former KBOO artist in resident, and has recently released an album entitled, "Traditional and Public Domain Songs" on the Mississippi Records Label.
Resources for Episode 10:
The Taking and Claiming Back of Power
- "Nasty Woman" video & song - https://youtu.be/llHsTu2vveI http://www.araleemusic.com
- Beth Wood Music - http://www.bethwoodmusic.com
- Ara Lee Left Coast Soul Singer - http://www.araleemusic.com/
- Teri Briggs Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/mary.teri.7?fref=ts
The She-Ra Solution:
- Hart, Maria Teresa. “She-Ra and the Fight Against the Token Girl.” The Atlantic, June 16, 2016. https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/06/she-ra-the-female-centric-80s-kids-show/487145/.
- SassyBlack. “Me and Mines (Cute Chicks).” https://sassyblack.bandcamp.com/track/me-and-mines-cute-chicks.
Karlie Noon, mathmetician and physicist
Hindou Oumarou Ibrahim:
Nalo Hopkinson, Author
- Magnus, Kellie. “Nalo Hopkinson: Writing Is Believing.” Caribbean Beat, May/June 2005,
- Musican Marisa Anderson - Traditional and Public Domain Songs https://marisaandersonmusic.com/about/
Dennise M. Kowalczyk
Inessa Anderson (Interview Nasty Woman Video – Producer: Inessa Anderson)
Kristin Thiel (The She-Ra Solution – Producers: Dennise M. Kowalczyk)
Liam Delta (Vox Pop – Producers: Liam Delta & Dennise M. Kowalczyk)
Darka Dusty (Interview with Susan Hashem – Producer: Darka Dusty & Dennise M. Kowalczyk
Leidi Monte (Per.Mutations – Producer: Leidi Monte)
Liam Delta (Editor)
Dennise M. Kowalczyk (Executive Producer)
Vicky Mazzone (Web)