A Different Nature playlist for 05/02/2011
Final installment in a six-part series on the music of Butch Morris; host: Andy Hosch of Timbuktunes
1. "Istanbul" (9:25) from David Murray Big Band conducted by Lawrence D. "Butch" Morris (DIW, Japan, 1991); David Murray (tenor sax, bass clarinet), Hugh Ragin, Graham Haynes, Rasul Siddik, James Zollar (trumpets), Craig Harris, Frank Lacy, Al Patterson (trombones), Vincent Chaney (French horn), Bob Stewart (tuba), Kahlil Henry (flute, piccolo), John Purcell (alto sax), James Spaulding (alto sax, flute), Patience Higgins (tenor & soprano sax), Don Byron (baritone sax, clarinet), Sonelius Smith (piano), Fred Hopkins (bass), Tani Tabbal (drums), Lawrence D. "Butch" Morrris (conductor).
2. "The Bartok Comprovisation" (7:11) from Butch Morris, Dust to Dust (New World, 1991); Vickey Bodner (English horn) Jean-Paul Bourelly (guitar), Brian Carrott (vibraphone), Andrew Cyrille (drums), J.A. Deane (trombone & electronics), Marty Ehrlich (clarinet); Janet Grice (bassoon), Wayne Horvitz (keyboards & electronics), Jason Hwang (violin), Myra Melford (piano), Zeena Parkins (harp), John Purcell (oboe), Lawrence D. "Butch" Morrris (conductor).
3. "Improvisation No. 2" (14:20) (unreleased, 1990); Butch Morris Trio: Butch Morris (cornet), Bill Horvitz (electric guitar), J.A. Deane (trombone & electronics).
4. "Preservation" (8:08) from Nublu Orchestra conducted by Butch Morris live at Jazz Festival Saalfelden, Austria (Nublu Records, 2010); Lawrence D. "Butch" Morrris (conductor), Ilhan Ersahin (tenor saxophone), Jonathon Haffner (alto saxophone), Graham Haynes (cornet), Fabio Morgera (trumpet), Liek Knuffke (trumpet), Thor Masden (guitar-left channel), Zeke Zima (guitar-right channel), Michael Kiaer (electric bass), Kenny Wollesen (drums), Mauro Refosco (percussion).
5. "Improvisation No. 1" (13:27) (unreleased, 1990); Butch Morris Trio: Butch Morris (cornet), Bill Horvitz (electric guitar), J.A. Deane (trombone & electronics).
6. "Food Chain Dialogue" (7:41) from Butch Morris, Dust to Dust (New World, 1991); see personnel above.
7. "Conduction no. 143/2, part 4" (13:41) (recorded at Berlinische Galerie, Berlin, Germany, 5 Nov/ 2004); Laboratorio Novamusica: Cecilia Vendrasco (flutes), Ilich Fenzi (trumpet), Umberto de Nigris
(trombone), Piergabriele Mancuso (viola), Carlo Carratelli (harpsichord), Giovanni Mancuso
(piano), Andrea Carlon (double bass), Peter Gallo (drums/percussion), Lawrence D. "Butch" Morrris, conductor.
8. "Ozone - Burning Red" (excerpt) from Butch Morris, Lê Quan Ninh & J.A. Deane, Burning Cloud (FMP, 1996); Butch Morris (cornet), Lê Quan Ninh (percussion) & J.A. Deane (trombone, flute & electronics).
to learn more about Butch Morris and conduction: http://www.conduction.us/