The 24th Annual Cascade Festival of African Films
KBOO is proud to co-sponsor the 24th Annual Cascade Festival of African Films. Over twenty African films will screen between Jan. 31 and March 8, 2014, at the Portland Community College, Cascade Campus, and Hollywood Theater.
Due to cancelations of screenings due to the weather earlier this month, the Festival is being extended through March 8th. Please check their website for all scheduling (and rescheduling) details!
The centerpiece film of this year's festival is Last Flight to Abuja, a suspenseful and entertaining Nollywood film that is part of the New Wave in Nigerian Cinema. The film's director will lead a discussion afterward.
And honoring Women's History Month, the African Women Filmmakers' Festival will showcase films by women from Egypt, Morocco, and Burkina Fasso.
Malian storyteller Baba Wague Diakite will host the Family Fun Day, showing the delightful African animation, entitled Khumba.
• Developing knowledge, understanding and appreciation of the richness, complexity, and diversity of African peoples and their cultures;
• Building community by bringing people together to view African films, meet African filmmakers, participate in after-film discussions, and debate issues of personal and global significance, in a forum where open and honest dialogue can flourish;
• Encouraging inclusiveness and accessibility by offering the festival free of charge;
• Creating an audience for African film in Portland, Oregon, and its environs;
• Serving as a resource of information about African cinema;
• Working with Portland Community College to build a library of African cinema for use by students, faculty and staff, and the public;
• Sharing our passion for and knowledge of Africa and African cultures through film.