1. Dig This: The Oregon Legislature dug up $60 million dollars to dredge Coos Bay. Hello Oregon Economic Development Commission and Ron ‘The Con’ Wyden, the legislator that couldn’t say No to a sailor (Or a salesman, for that matter…). The idea is to attract the world’s largest – and pollutingest – shipping company, Moller-Maersk, to our coastal shores. It isn’t just the sea that will be ruined: Think about the kind of transportation system it is going to take to move those 2 million shipping containers into the hinterland. Didn’t see that one coming, didya?
Chris Toensing is the executive director of the Middle East Research and Information Project (MERIP) and senior editor of the Middle East Report. He was interviewed by Goudarz Eghtedari in the eve of the take over of Gaza by Hamas forces for the Kboo's Voices of the Middle East program. He commented on the situation in Palestine after this conflict and about the future of the Peace between Israelis and Palestinians. For previous shows click here!
Marjan Satrapi is an Iranian cartoonist and writer. Persepolis a film made from her book series with the same title has just won the Cannes Film Festival praise of the Jurors. Persepolis is Marjan's autobiography growing up with Islamic Revolution of 1979, migrating to Europe and going back to Iran. She was interviewed in her last visit to Portland on her book tour by Gabi Ross for KBOO's Bread and Roses.
1. Since 1990 the Republicans have been sitting on Salem’s face and Oregon’s lowly service industry employees had to clean up after the party. But things changed this year and the Democrats are, ‘back on top’ so to speak. So far it’s working out well for workers. As long as the Dems don’t do anything stupid, we still have a chance to undo some of the mischief made in the last 16 years…
2. “I Shot the Sheriff”: Here’s the dilemma: They’re union members and they are cops. So whom do you root for in this particular movie? The union representing the Sheriff’s Office sued the Department of Community Justice and won. Pass the popcorn…
The Department of Homeland Security has detained medical supplies at the US-Canada border between Maine and Quebec .
The supplies were bound for Cuba, as part of a caravan organized by the Pastors for Peace from various parts of the US and Canada.
The section of the caravan coming from Canada through the US was stopped at the border, and several boxes were seized in order to examine them for their potential threat to the security of the United States.
KBOO spoke with the Director of Pastors for Peace, Reverend Lucius Walker
Beginning October 7th, KBOO began a trial period of 'The Thom Hartmann Show' from 4 - 5 pm weekdays. Click here to find out more about our trial period of airing Thom Hartmann - we want to hear your response!
A Membership Engagement Committee meeting will be held on Nov 27th at 5:30 PM. The meeting will be held at the Portland SEIU Union hall located at 6401 SE Foster Rd in SE Portland (near the intersection of Foster Rd and Holgate).
The next KBOO Board meeting will be on December 16th at 6 pm at KBOO - 20 SE 8th Ave.
KBOO 90.7 FM is seeking a Station Manager to lead our dynamic 45 year old non-commercial, community radio station.
We are looking for:
• Nonprofit management experience.
• Ability to thrive and work collaboratively in a decentralized organization.
• Ability to delegate, plan and organize people to meet goals and objectives.