1. The Island of Doctor Pamplin: Bob Pamplin still wants the City of Portland to take Ross Island off his hands, toxics, liability, warts and all. Portland wouldn’t mind turning the island into a nature preserve (smack in the middle of the sewer we have made of the Willamette River)….but aren’t taxpayers going to be chuffed when they get the clean-up bill right in the chops? Still, we don’t want to piss-off God and Mr. Pamplin, now do we?
1. Dig This: The Oregon Legislature dug up $60 million dollars to dredge Coos Bay. Hello Oregon Economic Development Commission and Ron ‘The Con’ Wyden, the legislator that couldn’t say No to a sailor (Or a salesman, for that matter…). The idea is to attract the world’s largest – and pollutingest – shipping company, Moller-Maersk, to our coastal shores. It isn’t just the sea that will be ruined: Think about the kind of transportation system it is going to take to move those 2 million shipping containers into the hinterland. Didn’t see that one coming, didya?
Chris Toensing is the executive director of the Middle East Research and Information Project (MERIP) and senior editor of the Middle East Report. He was interviewed by Goudarz Eghtedari in the eve of the take over of Gaza by Hamas forces for the Kboo's Voices of the Middle East program. He commented on the situation in Palestine after this conflict and about the future of the Peace between Israelis and Palestinians. For previous shows click here!
Marjan Satrapi is an Iranian cartoonist and writer. Persepolis a film made from her book series with the same title has just won the Cannes Film Festival praise of the Jurors. Persepolis is Marjan's autobiography growing up with Islamic Revolution of 1979, migrating to Europe and going back to Iran. She was interviewed in her last visit to Portland on her book tour by Gabi Ross for KBOO's Bread and Roses.
Beginning October 7th, KBOO began a trial period of 'The Thom Hartmann Show' from 4 - 5 pm weekdays. Click here to find out more about our trial period of airing Thom Hartmann - we want to hear your response!
A Membership Engagement Committee meeting will be held on Nov 27th at 5:30 PM. The meeting will be held at the Portland SEIU Union hall located at 6401 SE Foster Rd in SE Portland (near the intersection of Foster Rd and Holgate).
The next KBOO Board meeting will be on December 16th at 6 pm at KBOO - 20 SE 8th Ave.
KBOO 90.7 FM is seeking a Station Manager to lead our dynamic 45 year old non-commercial, community radio station.
We are looking for:
• Nonprofit management experience.
• Ability to thrive and work collaboratively in a decentralized organization.
• Ability to delegate, plan and organize people to meet goals and objectives.